Thursday, September 6, 2012

DAY UNO

Okay, day one of deliciousness. First of all, I've been listening to Ellie Goulding's "Anything Could Happen" all day long. Catchy. As. Balls.

Seriously, watch it. It's trippy and wonderful. Straight dopamine to the ears.

Curried eggplant?


Started out with half of an onion chopped, and put that shit in a big ol' pan with some olive oil (heat about medium). Added some minced garlic about five minutes later because that's how long it took for me to notice that I had garlic.

Maybe I should list this stuff:

1/2 an onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 or 3 tbsp olive oil

Sautee that ish.

Next up, eggplant.

Got a big one. Cubed it. Tossed it in. Put a lid on it.

I thought that eggplant was a really watery veggie. Don't know why. Don't even know if it's a veggie. But it doesn't go straight to watery mush when you heat it up, as I found when I lifted the lid a few minutes after chopping up some tomatoes to just check on things.

I found that the onions were trapped under the eggplant, which was kind of sticking to the bottom of the pan. The onions were BLACK AS THE NIGHT. Burnt 'em. But you know how sometimes you'll get a burnt onion and it just tastes sweet and delish and a little chewy? I figured the burnt onions wouldn't be that bad.

I added about four funky looking romano tomatoes, chopped. Put the lid back on and let it simmer for a bit while I perused my cabinets for spices and such.

FOUND CURRY PASTE. Which is surprising. As much as I LOVE Indian food, I have never even considered making anything of that nature myself.

SO. Added  about half the packet of curry paste (it was Massaman curry paste), which I decided my previous room mate must've left, because no one in this house actually cooks anything. Obviously I'm excluding myself here, but that's a relavtively new development...but I digress.

Added half the pack of curry paste. Added an eyeballing of ground cumin.

2 tsp ground cumin
25 g Massaman curry paste

I'm convinced that if it weren't for that curry paste I would've used chili powder with the cumin. I had garlic powder sitting beside the stove for all this, so everytime I got bored I dashed some in there. I have no way of measuring how much I used.

I let all that simmer while I made rice and waited on a friend to come help me eat it.
Then I found two cans of garbanzo beans in the cabinet.



HUMMUS TIME.

I put that stuff straight in the blender, because I don't have a food processor. I didn't bother looking up a recipe for hummus until I had blended most of it with some olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and kalamata olives. Then I found out that I need tahini to make hummus. I didn't know what the fuck tahini is.

It is a relatively tasteless paste-like substance made from sesame seeds. It's necessary in hummus for the consistency. But I found that it's expensive and any nut butter will suffice, but may alter the flavor.

Peanut. Butter. Y'all.

It worked just fine, about a quarter cup.

2 cans of Garbanzos, drained
10 kalamata olives
3 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup peanut butter

...hummus turned out a little chunky and way too salty. Next time I'll get some tahini, though I'm going to try to avoid making trips to the grocery store for items solely for specific dishes. Think of it as an exercise in resourcefulness.

BAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment